Making a charitable contribution to C89.5 through your donor-advised fund is an excellent way to support the educational and cultural mission of the station.
Advise your fund to make a grant to the C89.5/KNHC Public Radio Association (tax ID: 20-5402402)
How do I donate to C89.5 through my donor advised fund?
Use the link above to search for your donor-advised fund sponsor (examples include Fidelity Charitable, Vanguard Charitable, Charles Schwab, Charityvest, and Greater Horizons. Locally, the Seattle Foundation also has a donor-advised fund.)
After your gift, email C89.5 membership director, Bruce Wirth to let us know how much you are donating and from which donor advised fund we should expect to receive a gift. This helps us properly attribute the gift to your C89.5 membership record. Of course, gifts can also be made anonymously.
What is a donor advised fund?
A donor advised fund (DAF) is kind of like an investment account that is earmarked solely for donations to nonprofit organizations. Donors make an irrevocable gift to the fund (known as a “sponsoring organization”) and get an immediate tax right-off. Then, donors direct the sponsor to make a gift to a nonprofit of their choice under their name (or anonymously.) Essentially, you are donating to a nonprofit (the sponsoring organization) which invests your money and then distributes grants to other nonprofits of your choice.
How do I establish a donor advised fund?
- Consult your financial advisor for more information on the pros and cons of donor-advised funds.
- Establish your donor-advised fund by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to the sponsoring organization.
- Decide on your investment allocation strategy.
- Recommend a grant to the C89.5/KNHC Public Radio Association (tax ID: 20-5402402).
What are the main advantages of a donor advised fund?
- Simplicity – The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility– Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax-efficiency – Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy– A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- Privacy (if desired) – Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.
- No start-up costs – There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, sponsoring organizations generally assess an administrative fee on the assets and may require a minimum initial contribution. Fees depend on the sponsoring organization.